Papilio glaucus and other glaucus group species

krushnamegh at mail.utexas.edu krushnamegh at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Mar 14 10:06:31 EST 2006

Hi all,

I am doing my PhD on the evolution of mimicry and sexual dimorphism
in tiger swallowtails (Papilio glaucus species group). You can read
more about this research here:

http://www.bio.utexas.edu/grad/krushnamegh/Moorings/ResearchTheme.htm

For this research I need at least five females of each of the species
(glaucus, canadensis, appalachiensis, rutulus, multicaudatus, and
eurymedon). For glaucus and appalachiensis, in which there are two
females forms, one male-like and the other mimetic, I need five
females of each form. I have started collecting these from the field
but considering that females are encountered much less frequently
than the males, I might not get all the females I want in a short
time.

I will appreciate your help in any form if you wish to help.
Specifically, I am looking for good localities for collecting females
of eurymedon, rutulus and multicaudatus, and canadensis females away
from any hybrid zones. i want to collect outside the protected areas
so that a collecting permit will not be necessary. I am also willing
to buy fresh specimens or live pupae/butterflies (which is better) of
all species including glaucus. If you have larvae from which I can
rear the adults, that is also great.

Research is often a collaborative affair. I will highly appreciate
any help that you can provide, and acknowledge it in my thesis.

cheers,
--
Krushnamegh.

--------------------------------
Krushnamegh Kunte
Doctoral Student (Gilbert and Juenger Labs).
University of Texas at Austin,
Section of Integrative Biology,
1 University Station C 0930,
Austin, Texas 78712-0253.