Climate Change

Jonathan Sylvestre josylvestre at sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 12 22:38:41 EST 2007

Roger,

You said that : "Whilst climate change is something that most creatures can probably adapt to". I agree that most animals and plants can adapt to (some better thant other), "they did it" many times in the past. The difference now is that the changes are too fast. For exemple, if the temperature continue to increase at a such rate, a given boreal forest will become in a climate where tulip trees can grows, no real winter, no snow, etc... perhaps, the succession will not follow this change (soil formation, etc..). As far as I know, the numerous climates changes in the past were on long periods so that each ecosystem had the time to adapt or migrate. When the climate changed too fast in the past, we find massive extinction evidence.

Perhaps, I agree that the climate change is not the major problem of the rest of life on earth. Most of animals and plants will be extinct when the climate change will be "effective".

Jonathan

PS: Sorry for my english, im working on it.