Fw: Butterfly new to Sri Lanka

krushnamegh at mail.utexas.edu krushnamegh at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Feb 26 15:16:20 EST 2008

this is an exciting find, indeed! although it is very much possible
that the butterflies were carried from SE Asia to sri lanka by ships
or as eggs/larvae/pupae on ornamental plants, island-hopping is a
real possibility. there are some species with very interesting
distributional ranges; these occur in SE asia and australia and then
in the andaman-nicobar islands and in sri lanka but not in the
western ghats of SW india. others occur in SE asia and then in the
andaman-nicobar islands and in sri lanka-western ghats. these do not
occur in N. indo-china or NE india and the himalayas, indicating that
they might have arrived in the western ghats and sri lanka over the
bay of bengal. another possibility is that they have gone extinct
from indo-china, NE india and the himalayas, although the
biogeographic patterns are more supportive of island-hopping. more on
this in a couple of papers on the biogeography of SW indian
butterflies, one of which is in press and i am finishing the other.

--

Krushnamegh.
--------------------------------

Postal Address: 2401 W. 24th St (and Speedway)
Patterson Laboratories, Room 442
University of Texas at Austin,
Section of Integrative Biology
Austin, TX 78712-1095