[Leps-l] [leps-talk] Monarch Armageddon

MexicoDoug mexicodoug at aol.com
Sat Feb 16 03:35:02 EST 2013

"Doug, it was Lincoln Brower who first set the precedent
for using the word "Armageddon" in this article and others like it:"

Paul,

Huh ;-0 ??? I honestly didn't know and wouldn't expect he was the
source.

I wonder what the majority of unbiased scientists think of someone of
Lincoln Brower's repute throwing out words such as "Armageddon" to
describe the evolving sciences in agro-biotechnology.  This is really
an insult to science; 'Armageddon' has deeply religious connotations
and is from the New Testament Bible the destruction of the Devil an
epic battle when God comes down and unleashes his fury.  What place do
such religious overtone-statements have in science other than to
polarize/bias, divert and offend researchers and constructive
discussion?

I just Googled, and sadly it seems you are right.  I found this article
in Mother Jones that Brower had written in 2001, which was a result of
the GMO scandal that developed at that time:

http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/85

It gives me insight, to say the least.

It seems that Brower for some reason couldn't participate in the USDA
grant for the research into the GMO-larva topic program and $200,000
grant (which he considered a pittance).  Another diverse team of
experts with some of the finest academic credentials in this country
was selected and a paper resulted published in the most prestigious
peer reviewed journal in the United States - The Proceedings of the
National Academy of Sciences:

http://www.pnas.org/content/98/21/11937.abstract?sid=e059121b-ade8-4518-895c-2c10e4c5b113

Brower's political statement printed in Mother Jones strikes me as a
scathing, rambling condemnation and conspiracy theory - political
mobilization strategy.  Is that an appropriate place to refute a
publication by trashing everyone in government and industry?  Or would
it be better to respond in the same peer review journal which accepts
contrary/disagreement submissions in a specific format for this purpose
called "Letters to the PNAS".  I couldn't find any retort.  Maybe
you'll have better luck:

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/collection/letters

In the 1960's time frame Lincoln had the honor to be published in thwe
PNAS himself, at least 4 times.  He is also an excellent speaker.

Is the "Bt-corn killing monarch larvae" in the field still
objectionable by ecologists anymore, on a scientific basis? Now I think
it finally hit me why the monarch topic is avoided by some list
members.

Best
Doug