[Leps-l] Potential loss of monarch overwintering habitat in Mexico

Chip Taylor chip at ku.edu
Sat Feb 16 16:52:47 EST 2013

My understanding is that a manuscript based on
this presentation will be published in an
upcoming book on monarch conservation. I heard
the original talk and was shocked - as were many
- at the prediction that it would be about 2C
warmer at the elevation of the oyamel forests by
2030. This represents and extraordinary rate of
increase for such a short interval. If true, and
if such a rate change is widespread and not just
applicable to higher elevations, the world will
be scrambling to adapt rather than worrying about
monarchs. I'm hoping these guys are wrong but I
wouldn't bet on it since most of the recent
climate models have tended to underestimate
rather than overestimate the rate of change. And,
it's a fact that temperatures are increasing at
mid and high elevations all over the tropics and
subtropics, indeed over the planet.