[Leps-l] Potential loss of monarch overwintering habitat in Mexico

Paul Cherubini monarch at saber.net
Sat Feb 16 18:20:19 EST 2013

On Feb 16, 2013, at 1:52 PM, Chip Taylor wrote:

> I'm hoping these guys are wrong but I
> wouldn't bet on it since most of the recent
> climate models have tended to underestimate
> rather than overestimate the rate of change. And,
> it's a fact that temperatures are increasing at
> mid and high elevations all over the tropics and
> subtropics, indeed over the planet.

The actual world temperature record shows that since
the end of the Little Ice Age around 1860, there have been
alternating 20-30 year long cycles of warming and stable
(or slightly cooling) temperatures like this:
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/38/30yrscycle.jpg

This suggests we are currently 13 years into a period
of temperature stability that should last until sometime
between 1919 and 2029.

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.