[Leps-l] The delay in reporting the figures for the size of the Mexican monarch overwintering colonies this past winter.

Taylor Jr, Orley R chip at ku.edu
Sat Apr 2 12:37:03 EDT 2022

Paul et al: Yes, there have been some reports from Mexico suggesting that my prediction was too pessimistic. Over the years my predictions have often been on the low side of the real numbers though I was spot on in 2000 with a prediction of 2 hectares. When making my prediction for 2001, I also looked at the roost counts and the numbers reported per roost. I compared those numbers with previous years, but unlike you, I didn’t regard these numbers to be indicative of a population larger than the 2.1 hectares reported in 2000 partly because the migration east of Madison contributes less to the ow numbers than the roosts to the West of Madison.

Your graphs indicate hectares when it seems you are referring to acres. Your 7 acres when converted is 2.83 hectares - and if the numbers of occupied threes at El Rosario we were repeatedly told about were accurate - you could be right.

Chip Taylor[cid:E7FD9FA8-0FDC-477C-B2CA-2AB4734CC004 at bbrouter]Director,
Monarch Watch,
University of Kansas
chip at ku.edu<mailto:chip at ku.edu>