[Mendele] Mendele Vol. 18.013

Victor Bers victor.bers at yale.edu
Fri Nov 28 10:22:21 EST 2008

Mendele: Yiddish literature and language

Contents of Vol. 18.013
November 27, 2008

1) amatshiner parkhes (Hugh Denman)
2) terminology for female genitalia (Alissa Avery)

1)----------------------------------------------------
Date: November 17, 2008
Subject: amatshiner parkhes

With reference to Kalman Weiser's query about "amatshiner parches"
[18.012:2], I think there is a fair chance that the locality concerned is
Mszczon≤w, 45 km SW of Warsaw, which is often called either Amshenev or
Amshinov in Yiddish.

Hugh Denman

2)----------------------------------------------------
Date: November 25, 2008
Subject: terminology for female genitalia

My name is Elissa and I am a freelance journalist in the New York area.

I am currently researching a piece about Yiddish words for female
genitalia, as well as issues of female modesty in Yiddish culture over the
20th century.

I have a few questions I would love feedback on.

What were the terms used in your households? How were they used?

Also, what and how did grandmothers and mothers refer to female genitalia?

What level of modesty was exhibited by non-religious Yiddish speakers when
discussing this?

Any stories on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Elissa Avery

End of Mendele Vol. 18.013

Please do not use the "reply" key when writing to Mendele. Instead,
direct your mail as
follows:

Material for Mendele Personal Notices & Announcements, i.e.
announcements of events,
commercial publications, etc., always in plain text (no HTML or the
like) to:

victor.bers at yale.edu (in the subject line write Mendele Personal)

Material for postings to Mendele Yiddish literature and language, i.e.
inquiries and
comments of a non-commercial or publicity nature:

mendele at mailman.yale.edu

IMPORTANT: Please include your full name as you would like it to appear
in your
posting. No posting will appear without its author's name.
Submissions to regular Mendele should not include personal email
addresses, as

In order to spare the shamosim time and effort, we request that
contributors adhere, when
applicable, as closely as possible to standard English punctuation,
grammar, etc. and to
the YIVO rules of transliteration into Latin letters.

All other messages should be sent to the shamosim at this address:
mendele at mailman.yale.edu

Mendele on the web: http://shakti.trincoll.edu/~mendele/index.htm