[Mendele] Mendele Vol. 20.009

Victor Bers victor.bers at yale.edu
Sat Nov 20 17:59:37 EST 2010

Mendele: Yiddish literature and language

Contents of Vol. 20.009
November 16, 2010

1) Yiddish in the University (Gerry Kane)
2) Government support for Yiddish in the University (Cyril D. Robinson)
3) Immured recluses? (Lena Watson)
4) akshn meshumed (Al Grand)
5) akshn meshumed (Jack Berger)
6) iberzetsn Shire Gorshmans "Di bobe malke" (Cedric Ginsburg)
7) kushers (Martin Jacobs)
8) Orthography in Bergelson's "Arum vokzal" (Mirjam Gutschow)
9) "befoyr" in I.B. Singer's "Yoshe Kalb" (Noyekh Miller)

1)----------------------------------------------------
Subject: Yiddish in the University
Date: October 22, 2010

Yidish shteyt vayter in gefar! The comments by Seth Wolits and Barry
Trachtenberg on the state of Yiddish programs in American Universities and
by extension in Canadian Universities is heart-breaking.  But who is to
blame?  The profs of the various programs for not raising their voices
more loudly in the Jewish community about the need for Yiddish as part of
any Jewish Studies program attached to a local university or the Jewish
communities itself for being culturally ignorant and thus only supporting
the religious stream or Hebrew stream without understanding how Yiddish
has influenced the Literature and Culture of America or Canada.

Seth makes the point that Germany, Poland and France understand that
Yiddish language and literature were an important part of the modern
growth of their national cultures and so have to include Yiddish studies
in their curricula. North American Jewish Communities don't and in my
experience North American Yiddish scholars don't push the need for
inclusion at either the University level or community level.

Today's North American Jews will not be friends of Yiddish and will not be
until those who need their funds to keep teaching can put enough pressure
on those Jews who give millions to Universities to vote dollars in the
direction of Yiddish as part of Jewish studies in every university that
has such an academic animal.  Universities understand dollars.

Si'z a skandal.  Ober men hert nisht keyn geshrey fun undzere akademiker!

Gerry Kane