[Mendele] Mendele Vol. 21.013

Victor Bers victor.bers at yale.edu
Sat Feb 25 21:14:03 EST 2012

Mendele: Yiddish literature and language

Contents of Vol. 21.013
February 23, 2012

1) farsmalyet (Barnett Zumoff)
2) farshmayet (Eliezer Greisdorf)
3) farsmalyet/shibelnitse (Zulema Seligsohn)
4) farshmalyet/shibelnitse (Berta Kipnis)
5) kolbatshikes/naberdikes/kutatshkelekh (Khane-Faygl Turtletaub)
6) "Khanele lernt loshn-koydesh" (Shloyme-Khayim Cohen)
7) Yiddish cabaret music (Milna Kartowski)
8) Age of Yiddish (Charles Nydorf)

1)----------------------------------------------------
Date: February 2
Subject: farsmalyet

The word you ask about is probably "farsmalyet," which means "scorched."
The expression was commonly used in cooking (referring to searing meat),
and the author Tsvi Eisenman published a short-story collection called
"Bleter fun a farsmalyetn pinkes" (Pages from a Scorched Record Book),
which I translated and published.

Barnett Zumoff

2)----------------------------------------------------
Date:  February 18
Subject: farshmayet

If you look in Uriel Weinreich's dictionary, you will find that
"farshmayet" means busy, bustling.  In the English section you will also
find it under "busy."

Eliezer Greisdorf

3)----------------------------------------------------
Date:  February 2
Subject: farshmalyet/shibelnitse

"Farshmalyet" is a variant of "farsmalyet" (Harkavy) meaning singed or
burnt.
As for "Shibelnitse," referring to tall buildings, I wonder if the
derivation is from the Russian verb "shiebel" and its own derivative
"shiebelnit," meaning to rouse, to stir-up, applied to buildings that soar
into the sky.

Zulema Seligsohn

4)----------------------------------------------------
Date: February 2
Subject: farshmalyet/shibiltnise

I am happy to answer Jan Jonk:

"shibilnitse" is a word in Ukrainian, means a window pane

"farshmalyet" means dirty as a result of long use, rarely or never washed,
being in contact with grease, as an example - work clothes of a garage
mechanic

Berta Kipnis

5)----------------------------------------------------
Date:  February 8
Subject: kolbatshikes/naberdikes/kutatshkelekh

I am in the process of editing the Byten Yizkor Book and have come across
several words related to horses that I can't find anywhere. Perhaps the
Mendelists can help.

  1) kolbatshikes
  2) naberdikes
  3) kutatsheklekh (some sort of decoration hung on the horse collars)

The context: fun farsheydne erter kumen on rimers un hengen aroys khomotes
mit kolbatshikes un naberdikes. Di khomotes zenen oysgeputst mit
kutasheklekh un tsatskes, loytn geshmak fun di goyish koynim.

A dank in foroys,
Khane-Faygl Turtletaub

6)----------------------------------------------------
Date:  January 29
Subject: "Khanele lernt loshn-koydesh"

Tayere Mendelyaner:

Ikh zukh di verter funem lid "Khanele lernt loshn-koydesh," dakht zikh fun
A. Almi. (Un ver hot oysgetrakht di muzik?)

A dank,
Shloyme-Khayim Cohen

7)----------------------------------------------------
Date: February 23
Subject: age of Yiddish

We frequently hear that Yiddish is a thousand years old. The reality is
actually more interesting and more impressive. Yiddish is well documented
as a written language after about 1400 but that time it had already
existed for about a thousand years. I sketch the early developments in the
language in my latest post at www.gothicyiddish.blogspot.com

Charles Nydorf
End of Mendele Vol. 21.013

Please do not use the "reply" key when writing to Mendele. Instead, direct
your mail as follows:
Material for Mendele Personal Notices & Announcements, i.e. announcements
of events, commercial publications, etc., always in plain text (no HTML or
the like) to:
victor.bers at yale.edu (IMPORTANT: in the subject line write "Mendele
Personal")
Material for postings to Mendele Yiddish literature and language, i.e.
inquiries and comments of a non-commercial or publicity nature:
mendele at mailman.yale.edu
IMPORTANT: Please include your full name as you would like it to appear in
your posting. No posting will appear without its author's name.
Submissions to regular Mendele should not include personal email addresses
in the body of the message, as responses will be posted for all to read.
Please send postings always in plain text (no HTML or the like).
In order to spare the shamosim time and effort, we request that
contributors adhere, when applicable, as closely as possible to standard
English punctuation, grammar, etc. and to the YIVO rules of
transliteration into Latin letters, which are explained in summary form at
http://www.yivoinstitute.org/about/index.php?tid=57&aid=275
<http://www.yivoinstitute.org/about/index.php?tid=57&aid=275> .
All other messages should be sent to the shamosim at this address:
mendele at mailman.yale.edu
Mendele on the web: http://mendele.commons.yale.edu/
To join or leave the list: