[NHCOLL-L:1148] Re: Collections Policy

Boylan P P.Boylan at city.ac.uk
Wed Aug 15 17:06:11 EDT 2001

Dear Julie:

The Council of Europe (intergovernmental body for over 40 European
countries) has just started work on drawing up international
recommendations or standards for the protection and promotion of all
aspects of the heritage of European universities - with museums as an
important element of this work.  It's hope that a draft document will be
available for consultation during 2002.

In the meantime you might like to check out Oxford and University College
London on the UK, and the University of Bologna, Italy, all of which have
been developing co-ordination programmes and standards for their range of
important museums as initial efforts.

Patrick Boylan

(Professor of Heritage Policy and Management, City University, London,
& Council of Europe working party member)