[NHCOLL-L:2081] Fish specimens for exchange or a good home

Andy Bentley ABentley at ku.edu
Mon Sep 22 17:01:22 EDT 2003

Hi all

Here at the Ichthyology collection of the Natural History Museum of the
University of Kansas we receive all the stream survey specimens of the
Kansas Departrment of Wildlife and Parks (KDWP).  They perform stream
surveys throughout the state on a yearly basis and voucher all specimens
with us.  We are only cataloging 2 or 3 specimens of each species per site
and keeping the remainder of the specimens in hold jars for 5 years at which
time they are being discarded.  This practice is necessary due to space
constraints.  We have just come to the stage where our first batch of
material is due to be discarded - collected in 1995-1997.

Rather than discarding valuable specimens we were wondering whether any
other collections would be interested in an exchange or gift of these
specimens.  The specimens are common Kansas freshwater fish species from
most parts of the state.  If you have an interest in these specimens please
let me know and I will forward to you a list of the specimens that we have
for exchange.  We would require you to pay standard USPS shipping costs for
the specimens but other than that no cost is involved.  All of the specimens
have full data, permits and collecting information.  They have been fixed in
formalin and transferred to 70% ethanol and as such are of limited use for
genetic work but other than that all specimens are in good shape.  This
offer is NOT limited to US institutions.

We would also be happy to assist any teaching institutions with teaching
specimens from the same material if there is an interest - again at no cost
except shipping.

Please contact me by any means listed below but preferably by email.

Looking forward to hearing from any interested parties

Andy Bentley
   A  :             A  :             A  :
}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
   V                V                V
Andy Bentley
Ichthyology Collection Manager
University of Kansas
Natural History Museum & Biodiversity Research Center
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561
USA