[NHCOLL-L:3479] RE: 'Permanent' Printer Ink - Collection Labels

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Mon Jul 2 14:06:07 EDT 2007

Diana

The latest thinking is that thermal transfer printers are the best around for wet specimen labels and I know that a couple of people are using them for herbarium labels too.  This is the technology that is used to print the labels that go on luggage at airports.  It thermally imbeds ribbon ink into the surface of a polyester media.  I have attached a pdf of an article I wrote about this technology for the SPNHC newsletter as well as some information on our supplier, Alpha Systems, that sells a Museum Tag solution for this type of thing.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

Andy

   A  :             A  :             A  :
}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>
   V                V                V
Andy Bentley
Ichthyology Collection Manager/Specify Usability Lead
University of Kansas
Natural History Museum & Biodiversity Research Center
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561
USA