[NHCOLL-L:4046] RE: DHL and 3-177

Furth, David FURTHD at si.edu
Wed Oct 29 15:26:42 EDT 2008

This happened here 2-3 years ago a number of times.  I too objected to
this procedure and associated charges.  The reason is that USFWS has
"frightened" carriers like DHL, etc. into thinking that they must do the
declarations and then the carriers charge us for doing the 3-177s.
These carriers have no clue about what they are doing concerning museum
specimens and we are certainly the best ones to do the E-decs (a FWS
system).  Of course this also demonstrates that FWS also does not
understand museum science or their own regulations - we should have 180
days to declare non-listed specimens.  Go figure:-)

David G. Furth, Ph.D.

Department of Entomology

MRC 165, P.O. Box 37012

National Museum of Natural History