[Nhcoll-l] Multiple numbers

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Thu Mar 10 14:54:07 EST 2016

On 3/10/16 10:28 AM, Callomon,Paul wrote:

> Colleagues:
>
> In some collections, individual components of a lot that are stored in
> a particular medium (for example: the empty dry shell, frozen tissue
> snip and alcohol-preserved body from the same snail or the dry skin
> and fluid-preserved guts of a single bird) each get different catalog
> numbers.
>
> The question: All other things being equal, is it better collections
> management practice for all parts of a single lot to have the same
> catalog number (perhaps with different states of preservation
> indicated separately or as prefixes/suffixes)?
>
> A “lot” is defined as all specimens collected at the same time in the
> same place. This can be a single bird or a hundred pond snails.
>
> How do you handle this in your collection?
>
> //
We assign unique numbers to things in the entomology collection by
curatorial unit, not by lot. A single insect pin/vial/slide gets one
number, even if there are multiple specimens (of multiple taxa, even,
like predator/prey, host/parasite) - so UCRC ENT 95667 could represent
multiple specimens, of one (or more) taxon, though always with identical
collection data. If it becomes necessary to separate the records in the
database by taxon, they would appear as UCRC ENT 95667a, UCRC ENT 95667b
in the database. Other specimens from the same collecting event get
their own GUIDs, though the database is relational and each locality has
its own code, so one could reconstruct a traditional "lot" by querying
for all specimens with the same date/locality code.

If it's a bulk sample, then we will assign a GUID but don't attempt to
discriminate among taxa, or count specimens - far too impractical. The
database allows easy carryover of data if specimens are removed from
bulk samples, and then given their own GUID. Again, the date/locality
code will link specimens even if they've been physically dispersed.

Peace,

              https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__cache.ucr.edu_-7Eheraty_yanega.html&d=AwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=Jaf2xRPjvyOOEhizEXAxGFT6-yRPDLJPjJT2DtOXN4k&s=vMJSMu4hpROAA81Qx0wRipnYcJ8ejCV6NqNxYZUCHuc&e=