[Nhcoll-l] Converging Digital and Extended Specimens: An observation on nomenclature

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Thu Jan 28 02:47:06 EST 2021

Dear Alex and all,

maybe few cautionary remarks, even though I understand (and share) the
huge opportunities digital specimens have and enthusiasm in this discussion.

'Digital specimens' - irrespective how they are finally defined -
increase the visibility of these specimens, and the collections. Not
only for researchers (our key audience), but also for others. We know,
and the European Commission is very clear on this, that from a Nagoya /
ABS-legislation perspective, such data on specimens is used for
compliance check on ABS. Therefore, such systems will permit increased
checks by national authorities on the use of specimens, as revealed by
the data that can be retrieved. These include domestic compliance – in
some EU Member States, for the risk-based compliance checks of national
authorities, databases have been set up that screen for “uses” and
“utilisation” of specimens in the sense of the NP – and provider
countries – again, some have set up scanning systems to detect whether
genetic resources are being used as authorised in permits. Increased
visibility will increase the pressure on the compliance side for
institutions ‘Powered by DOI’ (e.g. for CETAF members).

Speaking as co-chair of the respective Legislations & Regulations
working groups of SPHNC and CETAF, we are not sure if currently all are
aware and have the capacity to cope with this kind of increased ‘impact
on research’ the system offers (to all users), especially as many
collection holding institutions seem not to be fully prepared to manage
associated legal risks, increased availability of information and
visibility of specimens introduce.

For example, we see in some ABS contracts with certain Providing
Countries that these require 'authorisation' before publication of data
through national authorities or ministries, especially if "digital
specimens" include 'Digital Sequence Information'. A condition that is
often overlooked by respective researchers and caused some troubles with
'publication' lately. This raises the question how contractual
information and obligations are and can be linked with 'digital specimens'.

For an “open Digital Specimen” the steps to determine whether a specimen
is open (or not) prior to publication needs consideration. Under ABS
conditions and especially in the light of the current controversial
discussion on Digital Sequence Information (DSI) (cf. scoping study on
the potential of a Global Multilateral Benefit Sharing Mechanisms ),
some stakeholders and Providing Countries have a keen interest in
governing conditions and uses of specimens stored outside their
jurisdiction e.g. in Natural History Collections in the northern
hemisphere. Specimen data of two major CETAF members (Kew & MNHN) have
recently been cited in a CBD report as examples demonstrating the need
to apply pre-CBD responsibilities for the collection holding institutions.

This issue is not academic.

Without doubt, data on digital specimens, e.g. available via platforms
like GBIF or BOLD, will be key not only but especially for many of the
monitoring elements under the post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework.
This surely is the one opportunity to boost collection, as they set the
baselines with their specimen data for many if not most of these parameters.

However, prior to the release of such data, associated conditions for
such specimens must be checked through the platform. If the
responsibility for the creation of an (open) Digital Specimen – and thus
the correct setting of parameters – is with the respective scientists, a
mechanism for handling submissions must be flexible enough to avoid
damage for the respective collection holding institutions.

All the best
Dirk

Am 22.01.2021 um 11:26 schrieb Alex Hardisty:

> Andy, Derek 😊
>
> Thanks Mike for your remarks.
>
> On the ‘twin’ remark, DiSSCo has used various terms at moments in the
> past 3 years and digital twin is the present one. My personal
> preference is to express as follows: ‘/A Digital Specimen is a digital
> representation on the Internet (a surrogate) corresponding to an
> //identifiable physical specimen in a natural science collection./’ –
> a ‘Specimen on the Internet’ if you will.
>
> The current use of the term by DiSSCo ‘twin’ reflects two aspects. One
> is a political dimension among the policy and workprogramme statements
> of the European Commission as the EC finalises and enters into the
> next 7-year framework programme for research, ‘Horizon Europe’. Here
> among the funding instruments and desired work focuses, the idea of
> digital twins is prominent in the ICT domain. The other aspect relates
> to the fact that we can foresee entirely different kinds of usages of
> physical specimens and digital specimen data in the future. There are
> kinds of work that can only be done based on the physical specimen,
> such as analysing it’s chemistry. It is clear that in the future there
> will be entirely new kinds of work that can’t be done on physical
> specimens but which rely on the availability in digital form of data
> derived from and related to physical specimens – data science. To
> extend Derek’s reference to his offspring, the twin is not identical
> and it can have a different job to that of its sibling.
> Extended/extendable Digital Specimen digital objects are a new
> abstraction and this is what the consultation is principally concerned
> with.
>
> On persistent identifiers, these are not specifically a topic of the
> first round of consultation. It is planned to include discourse about
> a persistent identification scheme for Digital Specimens (DS) in a
> subsequent round planned for late Spring. To be clear again, we are
> talking here only about persistent identification of Digital Specimen
> digital objects and nothing else. We are not proposing to alter or
> replace any scheme of identification (persistent or not) presently in
> use for physical objects. PIDs for DS will sit alongside identifiers
> of anything else and have their own role to play.
>
> In the present decade, enabled by the Internet we will enter a new era
> of what it means to work with specimens. DiSSCo and BCoN are at the
> forefront of thinking about that. The global team behind the coming
> consultation wants to consult as widely as possible, taking all views
> into account to build common understanding and direction of that future.
>
> Kind regards
>
> --
>
> Alex
>
> Alex Hardisty Alex Hardisty
>
> Director of Informatics Projects Cyfarwyddwr y Prosiect Gwybodeg
>
> School of Computer Science and Informatics Yr Ysgol Cyfrifiadureg a
> Gwybodeg

> [...]

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/