[Nhcoll-l] Curating specimens with uncertain type status?

William Poly wpoly at calacademy.org
Wed Aug 2 19:59:32 EDT 2023

This is an interesting example Nate.  Were all of the specimens part of a
single collection with the same locality and date?  If so, then the fact
that one specimen was separated from the rest indicates it was the intended
holotype, and it was deposited in a museum collection.  If the lot number
for the single specimen is much later in numerical sequence from the
paratype lot, it also indicates that the holotype specimen was separated
later and assigned its own catalog number (and there could be notes in the
database to indicate this possibly [1 ex. removed from xxxx and recataloged
as xxxx]?).  If the holotype specimen can be distinguished from all of the
others based on measurements, other descriptive information, and the
photo/illustration contained within the publication, then it is
identifiable as the holotype.  According to Article 73.1.4, “Designation of
an illustration of a single specimen as a holotype is to be treated as
designation of the specimen illustrated; the fact that the specimen no
longer exists or cannot be traced does not of itself invalidate the
designation.”  Therefore, the photo or illustration can serve as the
holotype designation, even if the catalog information was in error, and
this specimen still exists.  There doesn’t appear to be any language in the
Code regarding errors in catalog numbers such that it would invalidate the
publication of the taxon.

The transposition of labels in the jars by the author, museum staff, or
another researcher who examined the specimens later is possible (such mix
ups have been known to occur).  Nate mentioned that there were
miscommunications between the author and museum staff regarding the
lots.  Errors
in the specimen database are possible (most databases have errors of
various kinds).  As the lot with the single specimen was listed as the
holotype in the proof indicates that a later change, possibly by the
journal staff or the author, resulted in the error in the final paper.  If
this is a valid taxon that was described accurately, it shouldn’t be
written off so readily.  If necessary, a petition could be submitted to the
Commission to consider and rule on the matter, correct the holotype lot #
and conserve the taxon’s name.  But it seems that the original publication
of the taxon name can stand as validly published even with the errors in
lot assignment contained in the original publication.

Bill

*William J. Poly*

*Research Associate*

*Department of Ichthyology*

*California Academy of Sciences*

*55 Music Concourse Drive, Golden Gate Park*

*San Francisco, California 94118*

*wpoly at calacademy.org <wpoly at calacademy.org>*

*https://www.calacademy.org/scientists/ichthyology/wpoly
<https://www.calacademy.org/scientists/ichthyology/wpoly>*

Article 73. Name-bearing types fixed in the original publication (holotypes
and syntypes)

73.1. *Holotypes*

73.1.1. If an author when establishing a new nominal species-group taxon
states in the original publication that one specimen, and only one, is the
holotype, or "the type", or uses some equivalent expression, that specimen
is the holotype fixed by original designation.