[Nhcoll-l] Curating specimens with uncertain type status?

Shoobs, Nate shoobs.1 at osu.edu
Wed Aug 2 23:49:37 EDT 2023

Hi Bill,

This is an interesting argument. Some others have made a similar one to me in private.

Some notes:

A lot of people are interpreting my simplified type disposition statement 'Holotype: OSUM 1234, 10 specimens, Paratype: OSUM 4567, 1 specimen' to mean that there was a simple switch of paratype and holotype by mistake. But it’s not so simple.

The real situation I'm trying to figure out is more accurately represented by something like:

'Holotype: OSUM 1234, 10 specimens. Paratypes:  OSUM 1235. 10 specimens; OSUM 4567; CAS 1234'

The statement in question is one that makes it difficult to know what material / how many specimens the type series consisted of, because there are a number of lots which cannot be traced, do not appear in materials examined, are unfigured, and may not even exist / may have been included by mistake.

Were all of the specimens part of a single collection with the same locality and date?

Some of the paratypes, including the one figured as 'holotype' were split from the multi-specimen lot that is listed as the holotype lot. However, we only know this because of information outside of the publication, which cannot be considered to identify the identity of the type per ICZN 72.4.1.1.

The invocation of Article 73.1.4 could solve this problem, but I personally don't know if I think that the language in the code really means that any illustration / figure caption mentioning a holotype should always be considered a fixation/designation of a type, even when information within the publication explicitly and literally contradicts it. I agree that for figures which are unambiguous (like a photograph of a specimen with identifiable unique features, like scratches, stains, a unique crack, etc) this should probably settle things, but in the case I am working with, the illustration is not unambiguous (it is a vague illustration that could be any specimen in the type series), and the publication itself is so inconsistent and untrustworthy that a single specimen cannot be logically identified as the type with certainty.

If we consider that holotypes can be fixed  without the author's explicit, deliberate intent​, what is the point of requiring their fixation as a criterion of availability? Again, I can buy writing off a typo or two if the identity of the intended type is unambiguous. But in cases where the author never explicitly states that a single specimen (only one) is the type, I don't know if we can rightly consider the name available.

There are rules in place for how to deal with ambiguity like this pre-1999, but not post, it seems.

Best,

Nate

-
Nathaniel F. Shoobs, Curator of Mollusks
College of Arts & Sciences Dept. of Evolution, Ecology, and Organismal Biology, The Ohio State University
Museum of Biological Diversity
1315 Kinnear Rd, Columbus, OH 43212
614-688-1342 (Office)
mbd.osu.edu<http://mbd.osu.edu/>