[Wgcp-whc] this Friday, Waldrop discussion & visit from Olivier Brossard

Richard Deming richard.deming at yale.edu
Wed Dec 2 23:50:59 EST 2009

Dear All--

this is just a reminder that we will be meeting this Friday from 3-5
in our usual room, 116 in the Whitney Humanities Center.  The focus of
our discussion will be Transcendental Studies by Keith Waldrop, which
recently was awarded the National Book Award.

Our discussion will be guided by Olivier Brossard, associate professor
at the University of Paris Est (Marne-La-Vallée).  Professor Brossard
is an esteemed scholar of the New York School of Poetry, and a
talented and accomplished translator of American poetry into French.
He will provide a strong context for reading Waldrop's work and will
offer insights that he's gained from being so deeply invested in
Waldrop's work as a translator and scholar.
For a series of links and resources that I have emailed prior to this,
please go here:

http://mailman.yale.edu/pipermail/wgcp-whc/2009-November/000233.html

Also go here for a sample of Waldrop reading from his work.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/art/blog/2009/11/weekly-poems-keith-waldrop-2009-national-book-award-winner.html

If anyone is still looking for a copy of Transcendental Studies, there
is one copy available at Labyrinth Books.  This session will be our
last of the semester, but when we resume again at the end of January
our first session of the new semester will feature a visit from
Waldrop himself.

As ever, our sessions are open and welcoming to all, so do spread the
world to any interested parties.
There will be wine.
There may be cookies.

Until Friday,