Sugiyama Heiichi

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Sat May 26 22:48:35 EDT 2012

I missed this, but Sugiyama Heiichi, the poet and film critic, passed away on May 19th at the age of 97. His prewar writings on film are particularly amazing, anticipating Bazin's critique of montage and praise of the long take by 10 years. Naoki Yamamoto's dissertation includes a section on him and I will be talking about him in a talk in Iowa this fall.

http://www.asahi.com/obituaries/update/0519/OSK201205190041.html

Aaron Gerow
Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Director of Undergraduate Studies, Film Studies Program
Yale University
320 York Street, Room 311
PO Box 208236
New Haven, CT 06520-8236