[Nhcoll-l] New species with long shelf lives

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Thu Jan 22 16:48:36 EST 2015

On 1/16/15 3:36 PM, Christopher Kemp wrote:
> Please post this request to the listserv:
>
> Hi All, I'm currently working on a book project about newly-described
> species with long shelf lives -- i.e. species that were collected and
> then stored in a collection for decades, or even a century or longer,
> before the specimen was found and described. It'll be a large-format
> book with lots of images and narratives of the discoveries. Should be
> a good way to remind people of the importance of natural history
> collections and biorepositories. But I need as many examples as
> possible so that I can choose interesting species from across as many
> orders as possible. So please let me know. It can be a mouse or an
> exotic tick; a snake, or a weevil, or a bird. Everything is equally
> valuable! Please email me with the slimmest lead at cjkemp at gmail.com
> <mailto:cjkemp at gmail.com>

There is one point of clarification I'm curious to know here, and it
could have a rather large impact on your story-telling and solicitation.
That is, it is VERY common for new species to be segregated out from
among well-known and well-curated material in collections, that have
been sitting quite happily identified and catalogued in those
collections under a given name, unquestioned for centuries in some
cases. While this is especially common in insects, it still does happen
in vertebrates, such as the recent recognition (in 2014) that the SE US
alligator snapping turtles are a complex of species, rather than a
single species as had been assumed - *since 1835*. A very recent
parallel example of an even older case in insects is the segregation of
the western populations of the widespread, common citrus pest butterfly
known as the Giant Swallowtail [Papilio (Heraclides) cresphontes],
described in 1777, and effectively assumed to be a single species ever
since (I say effectively, because, being a butterfly, it has had
numerous subspecies described). As of December of 2014, every specimen
of "cresphontes" ever collected west of Texas (a total of probably
hundreds of thousands of specimens, in virtually every institutional
insect collection in the world) suddenly is classified as the
newly-described P. rumiko, some specimens of which date back to the 1700's.

My point is that it sounds like you are looking for cases where
something was *unidentified* for decades - that is, it was just sitting
without a species name and then "found and described". That's a pretty
different scenario from a situation like the Giant Swallowtail, one of
the most easily-recognized butterflies in this hemisphere (until 2
months ago), where the new species was sitting in plain sight and very
belatedly *recognized* as being new. If you don't draw a distinction
between these two types of discovery, you're going to get inundated with
examples like the swallowtail and turtles. Cases like those, from a
certain perspective, make taxonomy look foolish ("How could they not
realize that there were multiple species all that time?"), and might not
make for the most positive impression, though it IS an accurate
reflection of how science operates.

Sincerely,

              https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__cache.ucr.edu_-7Eheraty_yanega.html&d=AwIC-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=xsLStkcPAO_FDH5YMX2oli5OIhfwDZ4b0_1WltXRsTA&s=SxGpq6cNrScnd1MrPh2yrMODKcxBwGHuq22Hv_gQasM&e=